Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Milas Franks Letter

  1. #21
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Milas Franks Letter

    Well I haven't seen many people compete with Lowe's, Home Depot is about it.

    I thought he made some valid points in his letter, I'm sure that some didn't like it, but you know, at this point, what does it benefit him to say it, maybe he just hoped a few people would actually see some of the numbers for a change, and not just see the more 'heartish' stuff, schools, community, etc.

    It's a sad future that we're all looking at.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  2. #22
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Milas Franks Letter

    Well Rocketer you or Counts don't mean to hurt your feelings, but when was Dickenson Co. to consolidate and it has yet to happen.
    One thing i will say about Counts, he is objective, he has no yes or no vote till he reviews the facts.
    Yet you Rocketer and several including here in WC have it all planned out.
    Yet again. When will DC consolidate? Does it take that long with federal money and assistance? What is the hold up in DC?
    Afraid you will and it won't happen and there will be extra travel time to face AA teams?
    Let's be real for awhile folks. DC is awaiting WC to consolidate so they can and get the funding they still need.
    No more double talk or lies. DC does not want to go to the Highlands alone. Or AA alone. Easier to see it done first in a county closer and a AA district closer? Or split district. The LPD.
    A man who has made his fortune from others states his opinion.
    Let's see he lost his own business. Due to lack of being there.
    Then he is a contractor that helps do clean up for coal mines. Who well we all know will pay anything, so their name is not in the papers.
    Do the quetions and the math.
    The man himself has used cheap labor to make a forune off of Paramount and other coal companies.
    Doing what? Clean up work that they could of done at half the cost. But it looks better to hire an outside contractor, whether they know what their doing or not, yet still making a fortune off the mines.
    As usual it's the who you know and well who you take care of deal.
    Want the truth there it is.
    And no matter how bad DC wants WC to consolidate first. Well where is your first building? Huh? No answer?
    What happened to the DC consolidation. I still don't see it.
    So ya know you and a few others should shut up, till you guys can answer your own questions and well face up to why, you haven't done squat.
    5-6 years and no consolidated DC. Wonder why? No instead of wonder why. How about a few answers on why not?
    Who you all gonna blame?
    You guys have the vote. Yet still no consolidation.
    Any answers at all?
    Oh and guys take all the time you need to respond.
    Problem is you should of done ventured there. Yet you haven't?
    Why? And when if ever DC has actually plans to.
    Im tired of hearing from DC folks about WC.
    Time you did your project first and if it works so good, and it's so easy to finance and pay for. Then maybe WC will follow.
    How about a few answers from those in DC.
    5-6 yrs and still nothing. So when is it to happen? Ever?
    Or is the idea to wait till WC does so DC can follow?

  3. #23
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Milas Franks Letter

    LPD, read what I said, its a sad future we ALL face. Do you ever know which side you actual argue, you act like you admit that its something that has to happen one day and when someone says its something that has to happen, you argue it, make up your mind man.

    Dickenson County as far as I know, never has set when and if you would pay attention to what was said in the past, instead of hearing consolidation and going Bulldawg pride, I've said I expected there to be problems when it becomes more official for Dickenson County due to the same kind of stuff that happens over in Wise County. I fully expect people to campaign on the platform of we'll stop it. That doesn't change what I said, its the future we all face. With the way the economic situation is in this area, Dickenson County, Wise County both will face it. How long goes it take to get federal money, well I believe we had talk of a coalfield expressway going on before there was talk of getting federal money for the land and building due to floodplanes and such, but I haven't seen it built either, so I'm guessing sometimes it takes awhile for things to be ironed out. I don't know, you seem to think that I'm pro-consolidation, which I'm not but I am also not so pig headed that I don't see it coming and accept it. You say you see it coming but then turn around and argue the point. I never said that the Basham plan was right, that part of Franks letter was absurd, but the $s that pay for out of county and out of state with no money coming back is hard to argue. When taxpayers pay $2.76 for a student at St. Paul to a $1.00 at Wise, that's a tough point to argue rationally. Does it affect me, well heck yeah it does, when you can't really eat a decent meal in Dickenson County and have to go to Wise County and pay the additonal taxes on meals, when you have to buy nearly everything in Wise County, yes it does affect because a rational person sees that as businesses that we have to buy from have to raise prices to pay for their additional taxes. I dare say that the average Dickenson County person spends more of their disposable income in Wise County than they do Dickenson County. That being said, I said us all, we face it, Wise faces it. Lee done faced it. Our neighbors just over the line in Kentucky have faced it. It's the economic situation of the area, it's not an "us and them" argument. When or if Dickenson County consolidates before Wise County does, there being one school will affect your schools too, be it by transfers or teams having to play people further away due to their being less teams. A Dickenson County High School, is St. Paul going to play them, probably not due to their size, so who replaces Ervinton, who replaces Clintwood on Pounds schedule, etc and vice versa, if you all consolidate first.

    My question, do you wake up and get up out of the bed and depending on which side you get up, depending which side you argue for that day?

    As for the holdups in Dickenson County, I have no clue. We got people over here who put a county decal out, print them, many people buy them, and then a week or so before they have to be on, decide to do away with it because a few people gripe about a small price for a decal. The reason most complain wasn't the decal but to buy it, you had to have paid your taxes, and most didn't want to do that. We've got our problems, and if you think I'm going to say Dickenson County has the answers, then you're smoking some good stuff.

    I don't care what the man done, did, is doing but the issue shouldn't be the man's personal crap, but the issue of what is best. Should they repair the buildings? No, in my opinion, that isn't, never said that, actually I think I've always said the same thing you have, well at least on the days when you get up on the 'its the future' and 'lots of Appalachia people dont like me for saying its something we have to do' side of the bed, that they should build new buildings and go to less schools. I never liked the Dickenson County idea of 1 school, I always hoped they would go to 2 schools, but you know what, I don't know what they will do, and as the usual for over here, I doubt they know what they will do, but for someone who sure seems to have an opinion about we're doing or not doing, you sure hate for someone to have an opinion about what goes on there. Let's see LPD, I live in Dickenson County, I work in Wise County and good odds I will end up living in Wise County sometime in the future. You live in Wise County, do you work in Dickenson County or planning a move anytime? I'm guessing no, so therefore yes I think I have a right to voice my opinion. See I look more than 20 seconds ahead, and my views haven't changed. I don't want there to not be a Clintwood High School, but if thats what is best, then so be it. When it happens here or there, who knows.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  4. #24
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Milas Franks Letter

    No Rocketer.
    I am not like you i don't play the politics game. Im not in Wise.
    I play the real game.
    You still didn't in all your crap talk. Answer why DC is not consolidated?
    So why?
    Come on Rocketer i know you have what more than an hour or two to respond and yeah i check you started to a few times, but had to wait till i was finished?
    You see as a person who knows and as a former moderator i know how things works.
    You double talk Rocketer. As any true person in politics or a person who works in a political situation.
    I appauld you for dancing around the facts, and never mentioning the truth.
    So where is your buddies who backed you before?
    My questions are simple?
    Why has DC not consolidated yet?
    And what will be the expenditure if DC does and WC doesn't sports wise?
    Will DC be in problems if WC doesn't follow suit?
    You see Rocketer. I like you and Counts, but Counts is more the one who ask questions.
    You follow the politics of it all.
    DC will not consolidate until they know WC will, that way they will not have to reform the district, the LPD or VHSL will.
    As far as Milas Franks. Well do a history on the man. And i think i can be proven right.
    He is a true politician. But also not as smart as he thinks or other's think.
    Im sure wizrard or few others, six or a few others, who back you and the BS your talking will come to your aid.
    But the facts are. Why has DC no consolidated yet?
    A simple question. And yet no true answer.
    Why are you and others so worried about WC when , DC is in such a mess.
    Answer a few questions.
    I know the answers. You and others can pussy foot all around what you want to say.
    I know the truth.
    DC lost some it's funding and why?
    DC all localities do not want to consolidate and why?
    DC can not consolidate because they no longer have the money or the backing?
    So you all lay off on WC to do it so DC can get it done.
    Come on now Rocketer lay the facts out no politics.
    This aint' Kaine vs. Kilgore. No more lies are needed. We all know the truth. Jerry never worked the farm and don't want to proscecute his mother for voter fraud and Kaine aint' for the death sentence, unless it is voted upon and considered a done issue.
    And neither should even be considered for Governor.
    But i figured at least we could get the truth here.
    But i guess i figured that wrong.
    Question is DC has had how long to consolidate and hasn't even with the historic vote.
    What are they waiting on? And why is no one researching why DC hasn't. They had the vote and the funding and money?
    Yet nothing. Wonder why?
    Lack of input or those who see this as wrong?
    Or perhaps, lack of anyone looking for the money?
    So my one BIG QUESTION. WHY HASN'T DC DONE CONSOLIDATED?
    ALL CRAP ASIDE. DC STILL HAS NO CONSOLIDATED AND WHY?
    WILL THEY AND WHEN?

  5. #25
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Milas Franks Letter

    Dude, let me spell this out for you.

    First how do I play the politics game, when I don't vote there, don't have a say in it? You're in Wise County aren't you? For someone who doesn't play a game, you sure seem awful vocal about voicing how great someone is who you share the same ideas as, and totally bash someone who doesn't. What exactly do you call that? I don't care if Huey, Dewey and Louie are there or for that matter in Dickenson County (which would probably be an improvement over here), the reality comes down to economics and dollars and cents, no matter what the issue is.

    I answered you, and let me answer you again
    I DON'T KNOW. See as opposed to you, I don't listen to one person and then say the sky is blue, and when someone else says no the sky is green, swear that the sky is green. When Retired teach or others say its got to happen, you have sat right on this board and said yes, it has to happen and then now you act like it doesn't, what is your view, come on you play the real game, what is your answer then.

    My answer, I don't like consolidation, it is going to have to happen. Not just in Dickenson, but in Wise. What is the best solution? New buildings. Why has Dickenson County not consolidated? Well as far as I know, it wasn't ever supposed to ever have started a building till 2005, which is this year, best I remember at least, so yes they are behind schedule. Do I know why, nope although I can only figure its incompetence like it is on most things around here, because we have people who change their views according to if the majority says one thing or the other.

    I took awhile to respond LPD because there was good football game on and strangely enough, I was watching it and typing in spurts. Yes you really know how things work.

    I don't have to dance around facts, you know why, because there are few facts.

    What will happen if Dickenson County consolidates and Wise don't? Well lets see, since we wouldn't be much bigger than Gate City or Powell Valley, who knows. By the time we do, they may change the districts (if you have paid attention you know that has been discussed) but as opposed to you, to me, that isn't the issue. The issue is education, the issue is quality education, students having like opportunities. Shoot LPD I went to CVC, I had one of the higher SAT scores around, I mean as dumb as I may come off, I wasn't a dummy, but I went there and while I had some good teachers in high school, I didn't have the level of classes in most fields that many others out of this area had. We always wonder why so many of out kids from this area struggle when they go away from here, yes there is a homesick nature, but many of them, smart, top notch kids go and find out that they are behind the curve. You're worried about sports, I'm worried about the future of this area. Look at our leaders, most of them are under-educated people who can't look at numbers and decide that something is a drain. I'm sorry, I would love for there to be all the Wise County schools or all the Dickenson County schools and as much as I realize you can't make all your decisions on dollars and cents, someone does have to pay for things, and when the expenses go up, and the revenues go down, the tax base goes down, the money provided from the state goes down, you have to figure it out. If you earn $2000 a month, you sure as crap can't afford to go out and get 4 car payments of $500, but you know you probably can afford 1.

    And get over the Milas Frank thing, the issue isn't him. I don't need to do a history of the man, I wouldn't know the man if he walked in here, danced a jig and sang Friends in Low Places, some of what he said has been said before, but here is what the problem is, some people hear only what they want to hear, you can talk about them losing money, they go oh no, you can talk about them needing to make changes, they'll nod their head with the best of them, and then you tell them they may have to give up something for things to be better and they will totally forget the first 2 things and only say no no I can't change or don't have to. It wouldn't matter if it Milas Franks or Mark Hutchinson saying it, no wait that might matter because you've already said you talk to him about things. The endorsing of Basham was a joke, his plan was a joke and as far as I knew, he went ahead with his ideas before the board knew his plans, maybe he knew that they wouldn't and tried to run, maybe he realized he would get a buy out, I don't know his motivation, don't care, but the rushed idea was rididulous, it needs to be worked out and not done in 5 minutes, which at least as far as I knew is what Dickenson County was doing.

    I answered you as best I can, I don't know why Dickenson County hasn't consolidated or there hasn't been any progress. My guess is that the BOS over here is to busy creating stickers, repealing them, then trying to figure out where they are going to come up with the money they need to buy buses or anything they need right now, that and keep up their moneypit DCWIN.

    You wanted an answer, I gave you the only answer I could give you, I don't know.

    I notice though you keep asking but yet you never answered my simple question. Since you seem to know all the answers, my question for you, and this isn't what should Wise County, this is what do you, the legendary LPDFTBL think that should be done? You seem to say you realize it needs to happen one day and then argue about how stupid it is the next. When someone like Retired Teach posts that it is something that is going to happen, you agree and talk about how you take attacks for saying its necessary but when someone says its necessary you bash them.

    So what do you think should happen? Should they consolidate or not. Simple question.

    If you say yes, then what the crap are you arguing with me about, since I said repeatedly, let repeat that, REPEATEDLY that I don't like consolidation, it is going to have to happen, but it needs to be done right and not rushed into.

    If you say no, then obviously you've changed your mind again.

    I had no crap in it, if you expect me to explain to you why Dickenson County does things, when they will do things, then you're obviously not familiar with my rants on the horrible leadership here.

    So answer a simple question LPD, I gave you the only answer I could, which is an honest I don't know. I expressed why I am not nuts about it, which I am not, but I also have worked to accept its going to happen. When? I don't know. So you're turn, simple answer, not a novel with your double talk or repeating the same sentence or question one way and then the other, what do you think???? This is your golden moment.

    Consolidation or not?
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  6. #26
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Milas Franks Letter

    Well i read several Message boards so i know a lot who say one thing here, and then something else on other boards. I've seen things posted about how stupid the folks in WC are, yet we help out neighboring counties to get talked about?
    One reason i direct my quetions to you Rocketer, is we always could go at it without, a big problem like on the old forum. You can't do that with some on here any more.

    And as for my shining moment. How can i answer something that people elected can't or won't. To me yes it will happen at some point and time. But not the way this board is going about it. I may come across to double talk this issue how can you not? With this board one moment the issue is dead then, then here it is again? So how do you not double talk it. You tell folks well it's over with, then it's all rekindled.
    I say consolidate but do it right. First a real plan and not refuburishing old ruins, and a time line and payment options and plans. You know that lottery thing of what 400 million that would be very beneficial, but some how i don't see it coming this way. Does anyone else?
    And i do take heat Rocketer over voicing my opinion on saying yes. But at least i say it. I don't hide the facts we have problems and never ask anyone why we do and not try to help find answers.
    A couple i have talked to. Many would like to see two schools built and both on or near the campuses of UVA-Wise and MECC. Talk about dual programs and educational training. Hmm. Even a vo-tech with state of the art training. But you know me i just flap at the mouth and don't talk to folks or research anything. Oh well. I guess that's why my SAT's were a bit lower.... [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

    ONE THING I WISH.

    These folks who are wanting the best for Wise Co. and it's school system, oh and it's kids. I don't want to leave the kids out, because it seems like, well they been left out enough.
    Why not stop this crap and keeping the kids upset all the time. About the time it seems calm along comes more BS to stir the kids.
    About like the VHSL drug testing stuff. Well it's about lives ain't it. HUH? Ain't it? Doesn't consolidation also impact lives? Seems to or you would think it would. Yet does anyone care. Does this board really care anymore. Or has it just become a personal matter? Something is definitely wrong. So if it's about the kids?
    Well if it is. Why should kids be more worried about when their school is gonna be axed, than they should about getting their drivers license, or their first date, or their prom.
    We have kids who stay miserable over this crap. Because it's from year to year.
    If consolidation is the answer fine. Tell those on the board to be honest, and get the citizens involved, and come up with a real. Yes real and feasible plan.
    Let the public know what is going on and put some figures out there.
    How do you get people's trust. By earning it. Well time a few earned some trust and time yes even the citizens, learned if it is gonna happen, it's gonna happen.
    But it won't happen without the citizens being involved. Their area their kids, shouldn't they be involved?
    But why on earth would these folks keep up this stupidity? They want what is best for the kids? Well if they do they sure don't show it. And that is the end result.
    You don't keep a constant battle going and keep things stirred, where is the healing that was talked about? Do these kids not count, do they not having feelings? Hmm maybe some need to refocus and see if this is even about the kids anymore or about ego's some on the board and citizens.
    Cause if it's just about ego's what good are you to the Kids of WC? Your not helping them at all. Is it even about the kids anymore?

  7. #27
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Milas Franks Letter

    Read the post I made after the start of this, the one I made cause D/C , except Lung, harps on here about Wise county schools every chance. Counts, Rock and Burrhead, as close as some of ya are to Bush I would think you would already have a new school, or are you talking out your butt? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Lowes is a fact of life same process that you say we need to face and consolidate, yet when Milas folds it's , "Poor ole' Milas", leave Wise to Wise and when the time comes to consolidte, perhaps some of us will say it is time. But keep pushin' and all you get is a good fight. The super thought he was king of the throne, all it took was showing up at the right time and telling someone not to check about out of county students. It was thought Appy was gonna get the brunt. Asking for something without knowing what it is, is like being a snake handler. Sometimes ya get bitten. Cost a bundle, but it was worth every penny. I hope BSG elects Fred Thompon. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The fur would fly. Well ,I better quit- almost to the 5 min mark. HAHAHA [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  8. #28
    HB Forum Owner R0cketer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 16th, 2002
    Posts
    7,632
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Milas Franks Letter

    As close as some are to Bush??? Good lord Spuds, this may be the first time I've ever considered violence!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.

  9. #29
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: Milas Franks Letter

    [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  10. #30
    Inactive Member imported_Counts's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2002
    Posts
    3,370
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Milas Franks Letter

    Honestly the last thing I have hears about DC Consolidation was last December and the word at the time was that ground breaking would be sometime in late 2006 now I have not heard anything since then so I have no clue how things may have changed (Lord knows that it has/will happen about 100 times) I have not been a huge fan or the one school deal but IMHO it would give our kids a leg up when they go to collage. I like Rocketer would prefer the 2 school deal but the funding for that is not in the cards.

    Wise Co. is ALOT better off financially than DC and can probably fend off consolidation longer. IMHO Wise Co. could see a population swell if things go well and if that happens and new blood(tax money) is pumped into the system and if that happens they will be better off staying exactly the way that they are if not and the Population shrinks then it will have to happen.

    Spuds I don't know what I ever did to tick you off but I am sorry when I am talking about consolidation I am not trying to pick on Appy go back and reread my first post in this thread and tell me where I am wrong.

    New Consolidation rumors that have nothing to do with Wise Co. !!! In Bucannon Co. the talk of a New Grundy/Hurley HS and looking at shutting down Council and sending them to Twin Valley (Another rumor has Council staying open and sending students from little Prader to Counsel shrinking Grundy and growing Council)....... In Tazwell Co. I have heard rumors of Tazwell going from 4 schools to 2 or possibly 3 schools (I don't think anyone knows what to do with Pocahontas)


    Do I think Consolidation is the best thing since sliced bread? NO

    Do I think Consolidation if done half cocked will be a good thing? NO

    Do I think if done correctly it could be positive? yes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •